Wednesday, May 4, 2011

world issues: wanting to help but not knowing how.

i stumbled upon this (literally, on stumbleupon) as i was thinking of what i should write about on my blog. wondering what i could possibly do to help i read "spread the word". i take this as a sign.

 


i'm not a type of person who tries to get pity from others. but I feel that this is an important issuse that people should be aware of. i'm trying to get more involved in helping the world as much as i can.

honestly, i have been aware about world issues such as a lack of clean water, but a lot of the time i think "really, what can i do?" Travel to the country and take action, and giving money seem to be the only options. i believe that it would be a full-time commitment to travel there and physically help people. i would be totally willing to do this, however, i'm in college trying to finish off the growing credits for my degree and struggling to pay my own bills. so, what's left? i can "spread the word." But i wonder...am i spreading the word to people who are in the same position as i am?



what do you think of world issues? do you think you have the ability to play a role in them at all? have you helped, and if so, how?
.
.

4 comments:

  1. I did a project in one of my freshman classes where I decided to research this issue. it truly is eye opening and heart breaking. there are several other issues that break my heart, but the question is, what can we do? I've come to understand that the spiritual realm is a superior reality to the natural. So intercession is huge. We may not "feel" our prayers doing anything, but deep heartfelt intercession and travail births something in the spirit and accelerates things in the natural. it breaks things and puts things in motion that would never be accomplished otherwise. prayer might seem like a cliché answer, but it's the best and truest one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam, thanks for the encouragement! Yes, prayer is definitely a huge part of doing something. I am in continuous prayer, should have mentioned that in the post haha. I guess I'm just searching to see what other actions are out there to go along side of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuru is a pretty great organization that is doing lots to help communities work towards sustainability. In addition to reading about how it works you should check out their "Do something" tab. http://www.nuruinternational.org/takeaction/

    For the last two years the BSU LCM has hosted a Be Hope To Her event. Once we got the buckets it was really cheap and I feel like it was a great way to spread awareness around the campus. We raised some funds for wells but the event really focused on showing support and educating ourselves on the problem. Here is a link to a video on Facebook. After the walk we sat in a circle and had a really inspiring conversation on the topic of clean water and poverty.

    One of my favorite ways to address this issue is through Charity water. You can donate your birthday by setting up a profile and asking people to electronically donate money for wells instead of giving Birthday presents. Easy, fun, and 100% of the $ goes towards wells...pretty awesome!

    I know we have only met a few times at different LSM gatherings but I felt compelled to share some ways that I have attempted to address this problem. I hope you keep pondering and exploring this issue and I hope that you in turn share the things that you discover!

    Peace,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops...for the video

      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150174892090125

      Delete